Are you looking for the latest Facebook statistics? We’ve got you covered.
As the leading social media network in the world, it’s no wonder people from all walks of life utilize the powerful Facebook platform. People can socialize, post personal stories and pictures, read about breaking news, discover new brands, and even make online purchases straight from Facebook at alarming rates.
Facebook is in fact so ingrained in people’s lives, they don’t even realize they’re constantly checking their news feed at least 14 times a day or more.
Because of this, anyone looking to expand their marketing efforts and reach a wider audience should consider hopping on the Facebook bandwagon and promoting their brand. After all, Facebook has the ability to connect your company to more people than you ever thought imaginable.
In this post, we’re sharing the latest Facebook statistics to help guide your decision to use Facebook as part of your overall social media marketing plan.
Facebook statistics – Editor’s picks
- Facebook was the first social network to ever surpass the 1 billion user mark. (Statista)
- 180 million businesses use its suite of apps to connect with customers and grow their brands. (Facebook)
- 6% of Facebook’s advertising revenue comes from desktop users. (Facebook)
Global Facebook usage statistics
Facebook is by far the most widely used social media network in the world. Whether you want to chat with friends, post pictures of your vacation, stay up to date with your country’s politics, or browse online shops, Facebook can do it all.
Because Facebook is such a versatile platform, it’s not surprising that Statista has revealed that as of Q2 of 2020, there are 2.7 billion active users on Facebook.
More than that, Facebook was the first social network to ever surpass the 1 billion user mark. Adding to that, with over 3.14 billion people using at least one of Facebook’s company core products – Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, or Messenger – it only makes sense for marketers to want to promote their brands using Facebook.
Statista goes on to say that these are the top reasons for global Facebook use:
- To stay in touch with family and friends
- For entertainment
- To get news
- For following brands or companies
- To strengthen their professional network
Here are some other compelling Facebook statistics brought you by Statista:
- India is the leading country with over 290 million Facebook users
- The United States, Indonesia, and Brazil are the other countries logging over 100 million Facebook users each
- 1.73 billion worldwide Facebook users visit the platform on a daily basis
- 9.8% of global active Facebook users are women between the ages of 18 and 24 years
- 19.3% of global active Facebook users are men between the ages of 25 and 34 years
- The breakdown of global use by gender is 44% female and 56% male
Surprisingly, the fastest growing group on Facebook are users 65 years and older. Adding to that, according to the Pew Research Center, fewer teens (51%) are using the popular social media platform than ever before.
Facebook statistics for businesses and marketers
Despite people claiming that the main reason they use Facebook is to socialize with family and friends, this social media network continues to be an important marketing platform for businesses looking to grow.
According to Facebook itself, over 180 million businesses use its suite of apps to connect with customers and grow their brands. That said, with such an oversaturation of businesses trying to tap into the platform’s growing user base, the competition is stiff.
Check out these crucial Facebook statistics that are sure to guide your marketing efforts:
- Videos are the most popular type of content on Facebook, with engagement rates as high as 6.15%, according to Statista.
- The best time to post on Facebook is Wednesday at 11am and between 1-2pm
- 1.4 billion people make use of the over 10 million existing groups on Facebook
- 86.8% of United States marketers plan to use Facebook for social media marketing
- The average monthly change in page likes is a mere 0.13%, meaning it will take a while to build a bigger Facebook audience
According to eMarketer, 15% of people using Facebook are actively seeking out products, which bodes well for businesses. But it’s good to know how people are spending their time on the platform as well, to get a feel for the user base as a whole:
Remember, no matter what people are doing on Facebook, from sharing content with others to viewing video content, and networking to viewing pictures, your brand stands a chance of appearing on a person’s newsfeed with a solid social media marketing plan in place.
Related Reading: The Best Time To Post On Facebook According To Data.
Facebook Ad statistics
If you’ve never read a Facebook quarterly earning report, you’re missing out. There is so much information to be found about Facebook for marketers looking to up their game.
One of the most important things to know about Facebook is that it makes most of its revenue from advertising. Because of this, advertising on the platform is a competitive space and is one in which Facebook continues to improve for businesses looking to promote on the platform.
Let’s take a look at some of the top Facebook statistics when it comes to advertising:
- People love to access Facebook on mobile: Only 6% of Facebook’s advertising revenue comes from desktop users. This means that the majority of people are using mobile to visit Facebook and marketers must follow suit by targeting those mobile users.
- Facebook ad impressions continue to increase: Reaching your target audience on Facebook, and then some, is more doable than ever these days. According to Facebook’s CFO, David Wehner, ad impressions on Facebook are jumping thanks to Facebook Stories, Instagram Stories, and Facebook Newsfeed ads.
- Ad costs have taken a downturn: The one thing that marketers want to ensure is that they get a lot of value for their money when it comes to advertising. The last thing you want to do is spend a ton of money and get nothing in return in terms of revenue. Luckily, ad prices for Facebook ads have decreased 4%, making advertising more affordable on Facebook than in the past.
- Users love to click ads: Facebook users click an average of 3 ads per day. Women tend to click a few more ads each month (14) than men (10). However, no matter the gender, the point is that people continue to show interest in brands they know, and new ones they’ve never heard of before, and aren’t shy to click and see more.
In a study performed by WordStream, here’s what was found about Facebook ad performance averages across all industries:
- Click through rate is 0.90%
- Cost per click is $1.72
- Conversion rate is 9.21%
- Cost per action is $18.68
So, what does this mean to you?
If you’re using Facebook to advertise your business and are hitting these numbers, you’re doing something right and should continue your marketing efforts. If you’re using Facebook and aren’t hitting these numbers, it’s okay. That just means there’s room for improvement and the only way is up for your brand, and bottom line.
Facebook Video statistics
Facebook videos have become increasingly popular over time. In fact, 20% of Facebook posts created by Facebook groups with over 10 million fans are videos.
Not to mention, Facebook videos collect up to an average of 8 billion views per day, which is pretty impressive seeing as how Facebook is not a video content platform like YouTube.
Quintly analyzed 34 million Facebook posts on nearly 4,600 profiles across a variety of industries and found the following about video content:
- Video posts get the highest number of interactions among users, with images getting 38% fewer interactions and links getting 72% fewer interactions then video
- The larger the Facebook group, the more videos that are published (probably because they are so dang engaging)
It’s not enough to know that video content is the way to go on Facebook. Here’s some more video Facebook statistics to remember:
- 85% of Facebook users watch videos without sound. Scrolling in silence is what most Facebook users prefer. Because of this, the imagery you use, alongside the action within your videos, is the key to grabbing people’s attention, getting them to stay, and encouraging them to convert.
- Facebook users are 4x more likely to watch a live stream. People love to see real-life, live streaming video content of their favorite people and brands. In fact, marketers have caught on to the fact that their Live videos perform much better than any pre-recorded video content. Read our posts on Facebook Live stats and live streaming stats to learn more.
- Square videos are the highest performing. Buffer conducted a study and found that square videos perform better than their landscape counterparts when it comes to both engagement and likes. Interestingly, it also costs less to get someone to engage with your square video than a rectangular one on both mobile and desktop.
Facebook Messenger statistics
Facebook is a lot more than just a never-ending newsfeed scroll. Not to mention, a critical part of a marketer’s job is staying in touch with their target audiences.
Check out what Statista has to report on Facebook Messenger usage:
- After WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger is the second most popular messaging app in the world with over 1.3 billion monthly active users
- 126.3 million users of Facebook Messenger are in the United States alone
- Facebook Messenger loves to open up opportunities for chatbots – over 300,000 active chatbots facilitated over 8 billion messages between people and businesses
Facebook Messenger has a lot to offer your business, according to Facebook itself:
- Messenger adds about 100 million new users every five to six months – which is a whole lot of people to add to your list of potential customers
- There are over 7 billion conversations on Messenger every day – think about how many conversations you can be having with your leads and loyal customer base
- 260 million new conversations are started every single day – this goes to show people love to chat, even with businesses
- Real-time video chatting is a real thing on Facebook Messenger – 17 billion happened in 2017 and that number has just continued to rise
- Another popular thing in Messenger are GIFs – these are engaging, attention-grabbing, and the perfect way to tell your brand’s story
- Over 2 billion messages are sent on Facebook Messenger between people and companies every month – which goes to show that Messenger is not just for socializing with friends and families
And there you have it! Facebook statistics you have to know if you’re ready to take your social media marketing efforts to the next level and push ahead of the competition.
Facebook has long been the number one social media platform in the world. It offers people an easy way to stay in touch with family and friends, share content they love, and even reach out to brands they know and love (or want to know and love).
The problem is, Facebook is such a diverse social media platform, it can be tough to know how to best take advantage of it. This is especially true when you’re new to the Facebook network and aren’t sure how to implement a solid social media marketing plan.
It’s important to understand the different elements (and statistics) that make Facebook the leading social media marketing tool in the market. This includes general usage, ad and video content statistics and facts, Facebook Messenger information, and so much more.
The more you understand your target audience and the type of people that are inclined to use Facebook, the better ROI you’ll get with your marketing efforts. If you can identify your best leads, stay consistent with your posting and follower interactions, and give your customer base exactly what they want, you’ll grow your business the way you want and establish yourself as a leader in your industry in no time.
Dig into more of our marketing statistics:
- Social media stats
- Instagram stats
- TikTok stats
- WeChat stats
- Twitter stats
- LinkedIn stats
- Video marketing stats
- Digital marketing stats